A police officer has been suspended and 10 people charged after detectives seized several kilos of suspected high purity cocaine.
Officers from the North East Regional Special Operations Unit (NERSOU) today said they had charged 10 people with conspiring to supply Class A drugs, with an estimated street value of £1million.
As well as those charged with the drugs offences, a Northumbria Police officer, Pc Gary Steven Christie, 40, has been charged with misconduct in public office and another man with procuring that misconduct.
Seven men and three women are now due in court following a six-month investigation which saw the seizure of the suspected drugs.
Around £33,000 cash has been seized together with vehicles as part of the investigation and other assets, including several houses, have been identified and are subject to proceeds of crime applications.
All 11 people are due to appear at Peterlee Magistrates court on January 9, 2015 and the below ten people have all been charged with conspiracy to supply Class A drugs:
- Asa Dobbing, 35, of Ryhope Grange Court, in Sunderland
- Aidan Dobbing, 30, of Revelston Close, Doxford Park, Sunderland
- Leanne Mariner, 31, of Bonners Raff, in Sunderland
- Jamie Lee Malloy, 25, of Saint Oswins Street, in South Shields,
- April Ellen Hunter, 19, of Little Bedford Street in North Shields
- Iain Potts, 27, of Cavendish Place, in Sunderland
- Kevin Dudley, 39, of Hadrian Road, Jarrow
- Simon Peter Loomes, 40, of Windsor Road in Buckinghamshire
- Victoria Carter, 24, of Saint Oswins Street, in South Shields
- Christopher Catchpole, 47, of Jack Lawson Terrace, Wheatley Hill, County Durham
- Gary Steven Christie, 40, of Silksworth Lane in Sunderland has been charged with misconduct in a public office.
- Asa Dobbing, 35, of Ryhope Grange Court in Sunderland has also been charged with Aid, Abet, Counsel or Procure Misconduct in Public Office